Changing your oil is one of the simplest things you can do to ensure your car runs efficiently for years to come. The best part is that you don’t have to pay a mechanic to do it. Provided you have a few tools, odds are that you can change your oil at home. Here’s a quick guide to a DIY oil change.
To change your oil, you need:
- Wrench set
- Oil pan
- Fresh oil
- Oil filter
To change your oil quickly, follow these steps:
- Unscrew the plug located at the bottom of the engine. Place a container beneath the engine to catch the oil and pull the plug out.
- Remove the oil filter. Make sure the rubber gasket comes with it. Replace it with the new filter and screw the plug back in.
- Refill the engine using the funnel. Remember to put the cap back on the bottle before throwing it away.
- Dump the old oil into a large container. Run the engine until the oil light goes off.
- Check the dipstick to ensure your engine is full. Add more oil if needed.
- Remember to dispose of your old oil properly.
Of course, if you need a hand changing your oil, you can schedule a service appointment with Bakersfield Mitsubishi.